Search This Blog

Loading...

18 July 2013

Start now to pack for the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference

The Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference will meet in FortWayne, IN on August 21-24, 2013. Start packing your suitcase both mentally and physically. Set aside a corner of the room to collect must have items. What must you bring to a genealogy conference? What must you bring to FGS? Everyone will answer these questions differently.

The following is my list of must bring items to FGS.
  • Dunham family association fliers – the Dunham Singletary Family Connections Association joined the FGS family of genealogical societies this spring.
  • Business cards – great for networking
  • Netbook – preloaded with updated genealogical program, data base and conference syllabus
  • Camera – photos of friends
  • Walking shoes – plenty of exercise strolling between the lectures and vendors
  • Credit cards, cash, or coins – for machines and vendor purchases
  • Snacks – as my food choice is limited
  • Pillow – for back comfort
  • Yarn – knitting helps me concentrate, keeps my though process in a straight line


All of the above are vital and some items are already in the packing corner. Also, significant is my upbeat attitude to learn:
  • new ideas (my way is not the only way to do something)
  • about new products (expand my tools)
  • ways to use current products (make use of what I already have)
  • research methodology (lectures and networking)


What else will I pack? With the above list, not much will be left at home. This year, I have added a smart phone. Hopefully, I am smart enough to use it. I have added the Evernote program Hello for scanning business cards and adding other contact information. The usual comfortable clothing and slippers for the hotel room are a must. Along with my daily vitamins for physical strength, I will pack my Bible and readings for daily spiritual strength.


See you at FGS in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment and support. We grow and learn from each other.